NHL 22 - PS5
Powered by Frostbite™, EA SPORTS™ NHL® 22 gets the superstar treatment. For the first time ever, experience EA SPORTS NHL on one of the industry’s most powerful game engines bringing unrivaled visual detail to every hit, deke and shot. Superstar X-Factors lets you feel the personality and power of NHL superstars with an all-new ability system that unlocks the unique skills of the league’s most elite players. Authentic to real player skill and style, the stars of the NHL truly come to life in EA SPORTS NHL 22 making their time on ice more influential than ever . From HUT to World of Chel, Superstar X-Factors brings new class based strategy to every game mode. EA SPORTS NHL 22 is an all new game for a new generation, giving you more ways to play and compete than ever before. This is breakthrough hockey.
Players who start playing NHL 22 on PlayStation®4 or Xbox One will be able to transfer their HUT Team value and progress to PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series X|S within the NHL 22 title, meaning that:
- Users can protect 20 player items + Coach in their current lineup and transfer those over to a new console.
- Once content is transferred from Gen4 to Gen5, that content on Gen4 will be converted to untradable for security reasons.
For the first time ever, the legendary Frostbite™ engine comes to EA SPORTS NHL® 22. Bringing massive visual upgrades to both current and next generation console games alike, NHL 22 is one of the biggest leaps forward in graphics in franchise history. From overhauled player likeness and cloth animations that bring players to life to dynamic lighting creating truly immersive game environments, there is improvement everywhere you look.
Across all game versions, Frostbite delivers huge visual upgrades that dramatically enhance realism. From overhauled player likenesses and all new eye animations that track and react to the action around them, the superstars of the NHL have never felt more alive. Everywhere you look, players can expect upgrades including:
- Overhauled Player Likeness: Over 100 star players and generic player head models have been totally rebuilt from the ground up to reflect the current season and bring more detail to your favorite players.
- Uniform Improvements: micro-detail on fabrics and component branding for patches/logos is delivered in higher resolution making every stitch visible. All done without impacting performance, memory and disc utilization.
- Hair shader upgrade across all players: borrowing hair shader technology from the EA SPORTS FIFA franchise, players have performant hair that lights more realistically.
- Eye Animations (PA2 Procedural Awareness): players are now more expressive than ever before as PA2 technology breathes new life into them with reactive eye movement. Players’ eyes track to take notice of primary events happening around them (ex. Looking for a pass) as well as secondary glances at nearby targets (ex. Opposing players).
- Improved Skin shading: new skin rendering combined with improvements in lighting adds more realism to player faces than ever.
- Cloth Animation: as players move, so do their uniforms. New animations add physics to cloth materials that react accurately in response to player movements.
Exclusive to PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S game versions, upgrades include:
- Micro Detail on Gear: enhanced detail across kits and equipment gives lifelike texture to every fabric and stitch when the camera gets up close and personal.
- Micro Detail on Environments: enhanced detail on environments that adds more texture to surfaces and micro shadows against each light source.
- Enhanced Cloth Simulation: cloth on goalie & player pants and jerseys respond to player movements and environment.
- Cloth Simulation on Secondary Characters: coaches and referees receive more detailed cloth simulation.
- Facial Animation: adds realism to facial expressions that now crackle with life with more detailed expressions that react to the environment around them.
- Dynamic Lighting: featured on all environments and characters in gameplay, new dynamic lighting adds realistic texture and depth to the experience.
- Enhanced effects including improved skate spray: The smoke has more detail that works more accurately with the lighting, the skate spray will be able to hit the lens. Net cam, penalty box cam, board cam, and rail cam each have customized light glares, as well as screen smudges that react to lighting.
Stick Physics: game physics get an upgrade with new physically-true stick interactions that result in:
- Battles for the puck that are fair and based on skill
- Stick-on-body contact that results in more accurate penalty calls in key moments like poke-checks.
- More realistic movement along the boards without sticks poking through geometry
Augmented Reality: key game stats and information are projected directly onto environmental surfaces in the game through an augmented reality-like visual package that seamlessly blends info with action. Bringing more information directly into the game lets you better manage your strategy by staying on top of vital stats in real time without pausing out to the game menu to search for them.
New X-Factor Animations: all new player animations exclusive to Superstar X-Factor abilities add more dynamic action on ice during key moments like Pickups, Deflections, Protecting the Puck and more.
Feel the power of Superstar X-Factors, a game-changing system allowing you to unleash unique player abilities that make stars feel like stars where their time on the ice is more influential than ever. Reserved for only the more elite players in the league, Superstar X-Factor abilities separate the best from the rest, and make superstars feel like their real life counterparts. The game features two tiers of Superstar X-Factor abilities assigned to players; game-changing Zone abilities and enhanced Superstar abilities. Each player receives one Zone ability that defines them and a secondary set of Superstar abilities. The actual function of any Superstar X-Factor ability always remains the same, but it’s level of boost changes between Zone or Superstar assignments. True to the game, Superstar X-Factors are inspired by the signature traits the league’s top players are known for. Whether it’s a blistering slapshot, precision passing, explosive speed on the rush or lightning-fast reflexes in front of the net, Superstar X-Factor abilities span all positions on the ice bringing an all new layer of class-based competition and strategy to the game.
Players are assigned one Zone ability that defines them, giving them a more unique ability that sets them apart from the competition. Zone abilities are always on, activating automatically under the right conditions. For example, a Zone ability that enhances long passing completion engages when a long pass attempt is made (however, it has no effect on short passing). A particular Zone ability is available to only a limited number of players, and in some cases even exclusive, meaning some players have an ability unique to them that no other player in the game has.
All Superstar X-Factor players also receive a set of Superstar abilities. They are less powerful than Zone abilities, but provide a skill boost to the skill area they represent.
Superstar X-Factors in Game Modes
Superstar X-Factors bring elite abilities to life in every major game mode including Hockey Ultimate Team, World of Chel, Franchise and Be a Pro. Bringing an all new dimension of strategy, Superstar X-Factors dramatically refreshes the game experience across all of the most popular ways to play.
HOCKEY ULTIMATE TEAM
HUT is an NHL 22 game mode that allows you to create your fantasy lineup of NHL players, alumni, and icons, and compete with them online. Create your squad, collect rewards and become the Ultimate Team.
WORLD OF CHEL
The WOC multiplayer hub features more ways to play than ever before. Build your custom player and compete across a variety of modes including EASHL, Ones and Threes arcade.
BE A PRO
The Be A Pro experience gives you the chance to live the life of an NHL player, on and off the ice. Impress the front office, chase greatness as you earn your spot on the first line, compete for the Stanley Cup and breakthrough to become the league’s next best.
Build your dynasty across multiple seasons in Franchise Mode as you take the helm of your favorite NHL team or create the expansion team of your dreams. Scout players, manage coaching and line chemistry and experience the frenzy of the Trade Deadline in pursuit of the Stanley Cup.
Publisher: Electronic Arts Inc.
Developer: EA Vancouver
Street Date: October 15, 2021
Rating: Everyone 10+
No of Online Players: 1-12
No of Offline Players: 1-4